|What is Graffiti Anywhere?
Graffiti Anywhere allows you to use the Graffiti recognition system anywhere on the screen.
Graffiti Anywhere requires PalmOS 3.5 or newer.
|Download and Install
Click here to download Graffiti Anywhere 1.5.10
Unzip the archive and use the Palm Desktop to install GrfAnywhere.prc to your handled
|How it works
First launch Graffiti Anywhere and tap the "Enable" button. Go to the MemoPad application (or any application that needs
text input) and create a new memo. The default activation button is the Datebook button (except for Treo 600 and 650 for which it's the Phone button).
So press and hold the activation button and AT THE SAME TIME use the stylus to stroke Graffiti characters directly on the screen.
There are 4 different activation methods (described later in this document). The possible activation buttons depend on the device you're using.
As in the Graffiti area, stroke letters on left side and digits on right side.
|Graffiti engine version
Graffiti Anywhere doesn't have its own recognition engine. Instead, it uses the one installed on the system.
The Graffiti recognition engine varies depending on the version of PalmOS installed on your device.
If your device runs PalmOS 5.0 or older, the recognition engine of your device is Graffiti 1.
If it runs PalmOS 5.2 or newer, the recognition engine is Graffiti 2.
This link brings you to the Graffiti 2 char map.
The main difference between Graffiti 1 and 2 is that with Graffiti 2, letters 'k', 't', 'x' and 'i' are obtained in 2 strokes.
|The "dot" tap is replaced by a special stroke
Graffiti Anywhere replaces the single tap by a special stroke in order to allow you to use buttons
and other objects on the application screen by simply tapping them. The special stroke is an oblique 45°, bottom
to top and right to left.
With Graffiti 1, the "dot" tap is used to switch to punctuation mode. It's also used to get the dot character (".")
by doing it twice. It's the same with Graffiti Anywhere: You have to do the special stroke twice to obtain the dot character.
||is replaced by:
Graffiti single tap
Graffiti Anywhere special stroke
To stroke a "i" with Graffiti 2, you usually do a vertical down stroke then a dot above it. So, with Graffiti Anywhere,
you have to do the vertical down stroke then the special stroke above it.
- Graffiti echo: If checked, draws strokes on screen.
- Show starting dot: If checked, a dot is drawn where stroke starts.
- Wider line: If checked, the graffiti echo is drawn wider.
- Draw separator: If checked, draws a vertical line to delimit letters/digits area.
- Draw activation indicator: Draws a small visual indicator when GA is activated. You can also choose its position and color.
- Safe drawing method: If checked, Graffiti Anywhere will use a slower method to save the screen bitmap. It's useful for some devices (such as the Samsung I330) for which strokes are not erased when the pen is lifted up.
However, this option is automatically selected for TapWave Zodiac and Tungten T3 devices.
- Method: Lets you choose between 4 activation methods:
In toggle on/off and Tap screen corner mode, you can do text selection (and any other control selection) by
doing a long tap (i.e not moving the pen for 250ms).
- Press and Hold: The activation button must be pressed and held to activate full screen stroking.
- Short press toggle on/off: A short press on the activation button toggles full screen stroking on/off. A long press does the default action for this button.
- Long press toggles on/off: A long press turns on/off full screen stroking. The screen flashes when the state has changed. A short press does button default action.
- Tap screen corner: A tap in one of the 4 screen corners activate/deactivate GA.
- Button (Toggle mode only): Selects which button activates full screen stroking. Hard keys 1 to 4 are the
handheld bottom buttons (datebook, address, etc.).
- Where and Size (Tap screen corner mode only): Selects which screen corner will bu used for activation/deactivation.
The Size option represents the side length in pixels of the square area in the corner used for activation.
If you choose "Short or Long press toggle" or "Tap screen corner" method, other options can be applied:
- Single tap recoginition: Single taps are treated as normal screen taps, not graffiti taps.
When enabled, the standard graffiti dot tap is replaced by a special stroke from bottom-right to top-left.
(See the section "The dot tap is replaced by a special stroke" above)
- Auto deactivation:
- When exiting application: On screen stroking is deactivated when switching to another application.
- Timeout: Deactivated after the specified number of seconds without on screen stroking.
- Enable after reset: If you choose 'Ask', you'll be prompted to reactivate Graffiti Anywhere after reset. If you choose 'Auto', it will be automatically reactivated.
- Disable during HotSync: If checked, disables GA during the HotSync process. Note that this option can cause crashes on devices running PalmOS prior to version 5.
- Enbale virtual silkscreen icons: If checked, adds a Launcher icon and a Find icon in the PalmOS command bar.
- Enable CapsCrossing: If checked, strokes which cross the letters/digits separation are automatically capitalized.
- Disable field AutoShifting: Disables text field ability to auto-capitalize the first letter of a sentence.
Use the Applications Manager to setup GA for each application. Select an application and click
on one of the three button:
- Enable: GA will work in normal mode for this application which means that you have to manually activate it by pressing the activation button.
- Disable: GA won't be activable when this application is running. A press on the activation button does the standard button action.
- Auto On: GA will be automatically activated when the user launch this application. This is useful for applications like MemoPad for which you always need GA to enter text.
Use the launcher Delete dialog box to remove Graffiti Anywhere from your handheld. With some third party launchers,
you'll have to first disable Graffiti Anywhere.
- Treo 300 devices: Punctuation marks recognition doesn't work in "Press & Hold" mode.
- Conflict with TextPlus: TextPlus must be activated BEFORE Graffiti Anywhere to avoid the conflict.
- Conflict with Palm keyboard driver. It seems that GA can't be used when the Palm keyboard driver is loaded.
- Conflict with X-Master: For devices running PalmOS prior to 5.0, a reset may occur when the HotSync process
starts. To avoid that, uncheck the "Disable during HotSync" option in BOTH GA and X-Master.
Graffiti Anywhere is freeware. Use it at your own risks. The developers are not responsible for any
damages this program could cause to your handheld.
- ver 1.5.9 (01/15/2007)
- Added support for Treo 680.
- ver 1.5.8 (09/01/2006)
- Added support for Treo700p.
- ver 1.5.7 (01/21/2005)
- ver 1.5.6 (01/04/2005)
- Add support and fix bugs for Treo650 devices.
- CapsCrossing feature now works for Sony NX devices.
- Activation state is now restore when enabled afer reset.
- Add 9 pixels corner for "Tap screen corner" activation method.
- Smoother stroke drawing.
- ver 1.5.5 (04/29/2004)
- Bug fix: Auto-deactivation timeout in "Tap screen corner" activation method.
- Bug fix: Garmin iQue 3600 support.
- ver 1.5.4 (04/15/2004)
- Bug fix: Treo600 devices seemed not to receive GA inputs anymore.
- Bug fix: Erratic behaviors with Treo600 devices.
- Activation state was not restored after HotSync if "Disable during HotSync" is checked.
- ver 1.5.3 (04/08/2004)
- Bug fix: GA was not automatically enabled after HotSync and soft reset.
- ver 1.5.2 (04/07/2004)
- Added an option to disable virtual silkscreen icons
- ver 1.5.1 (04/02/2004)
- Fixed VoiceMemo detection for Tungten T3.
- Fixed a bug causing GA not ot be reactivated after upgrading from HotSync.
- Updated documentation.
- ver 1.4.5 (11/04/2003)
- Fixed Treo 600 deadlock bug
- Fixed auto activation issue when exiting from the keyboard dialog
- Fixed VoiceMemo button detection for Tungsten T3
- ver 1.4.4 (10/17/2003)
- Added support for PalmOS 5 low density mode devices (Treo 600)
- ver 1.4.3 (09/10/2003)
- Fixed VoiceMemo button detection on Tungsten T2
- Fixed Graffiti1 detection on Tungsten T2 (when Graffiti2 has been replaced by Graffiti1)
- Fixed AutoON bug for security panel on TungstenT
- Fixed special stroke recognition
- ver 1.4.2 (08/21/2003)
- Added Graffiti2 support
- Fixed punctuation stroke bug on Clie NX60/70
- Fixed bug with HandEra 330 and low res applications
- Check for hidden security app on TT devices. GA can now be set to "Auto ON" on security screen
- Auto-deactivate GA when calling the software keyboard
- Reduce menu tap threshold to 5 pixels (when no title bar on form)
- Improved on-screen drawing method
- Stroke color now uses RGB values instead of palette index (usefull with greyscaled devices)
- ver 1.4.1 (06/01/2003)
- Fixed crashes when exiting or entering some applications.
- ver 1.4.0 (05/22/2003)
- Added "CapsCrossing" feature (Not available for Sony NX devices)
- Added visual indicator when GA is activated
- Added Auto Activation feature (Application Manager)
- Fixed Global Find bug
- ver 1.3.1 (01/27/2003)
- Fixed bug causing GA state not to be correctly restored after Reset
- Fixed digits recoginition bug for Treo 90
- Fixed single tap recognition on scrollbars and repeat buttons
- Added "Disable during HotSync" as an option
- Increased punctuation stroke recognition accuracy
- ver 1.3.0 (01/20/2003)
- Added special stroke recognition (from bottom-right to top-left) to enter punctuation mode
- Added long tap detection (for text selection or drag'n'drop) in toggle on/off mode
- Added new option for a safer (but slower) drawing method for graffiti echo
- Added settings for enabling after reset. It can now be fully automatic or by dialog box
- Fixed Clie S300 & S320 jog detection
- Fixed bug in auto disable timeout
- ver 1.2.0 (01/02/2003)
- Toggle on/off activation methods (long and short press)
- Reactivation at reset
- Auto deactivation during HotSync
- Auto deactivation when deleted
- Applications exclusion list
- Sony back button support
- Tungsten|W support
- double density icons
- Fixed digits recognition for Treo devices
- Many others bug fixes...
- ver 1.1.1 (11/28/2002)
- Fixed crash with X-Master
- ver 1.1.0 (11/23/2002)
- PalmOS 5 support
- Support for Sony Clie and Handspring Treo jog button
- Support for VoiceMemo button on Tungsten|T
- Color support
- ver 1.0.1 (11/8/2002)
- Bug fix: Fatal exception on PalmOS 3.5
- Bug fix: Preferences were not correctly restored when disabling/enabling (Standalone app only)
- ver 1.0.0 released (11/3/2002)